Tuesday, August 10, 2010

I am not scared to tell the truth.

I know. It sounds like I'm bracing for a fight or confrontation. Maybe I am.

There are so many things to say about the world. There are so many people just ready to fight about anything online. Maybe that's why. So many people with so many opinions without anything real to back it up.

Moreover, so many people who use "faith" to explain things that don't work in the real world, even scientists as well as the religious or the political.

While some of my opinions may only work for me in some instances because the world I live in is one I prefer, still there are many things that people just want to believe and use God or personal beliefs to justify and even in the face of real facts they still refuse to be reasonable.

Do you know there are still thousands of Christians out there that still believe humans have only been on earth for 6000 years? My father was one. My father chose to believe that carbon dating was a hoax rather than change his views when faced with new information. He also thought digging a ditch was preferable to using the mind. I used to tell him to work smarter, not harder.

And just like that instance, there are people who choose not to believe overwhelming evidence.

An example? Global warming. While humans may not really be the actual cause, the earth is warming up, we aren't doing much to stop our own contribution to the effect and the effect is surely real and instead of arguing about whether humans are the root cause or not, how about simply realizing the fact that the poor earth is truly changing and to try to help minimize our contribution to it?

I viewed a comic strip yesterday about a couple scientists talking about global warming. One said, "If it's a hoax, we made the world a better place for nothing!"

Isn't that sad?

Instead of all of us trying to make the world a better place just for the sake of it, we spend our time arguing over the science and the necessity of doing so. I heard a joke I just loved the other day.

A Democrat and a Republican were in a bar. (Why the republican was there I'll never know.) The Republican turned and called the Democrat a tree hugger, The democrat turned  to the Republican and simply said, "So, what are you? A puppy kicker, or do you work for BP?"

(By the way, just so some of you are aware, the scientists have quit talking about the likelihood of global warming. Now they just say it's here. This is the warmest year since we have been keeping records.)

It's my personal experience with almost any subject that only people who haven't spent a lot of time studying a subject argues against it. Furthermore, those who study subjects from only biased sources will never have the real facts. (Fox News doesn't count as a source of any kind!)

This is just an introductory article to give the readers a chance to get to know me better. I don't abide flamers, trolls, Republicans, mean people, sport hunters, flaky or superficial, greedy people.

One would think I'm a democrat by the way I talk about the Republicans. I don't align myself with any party. I used to be Republican when I was a young man. But they have always embarrassed me. They are supposed to be the "Christian" party. I've been watching them for 44 years now and let me tell you, I've never seen more lies or scandal in any other group of people in my life.

That's another article though.

Next article: Politics and Christianity

No comments:

Post a Comment